Saturday, August 19, 2006

Scoop - 2006 - Film

Friday, August 18, 2006

Scoop is Woody Allen comedy revival. I credit Scarlett Johansson, probably the most gorgeous figure and face to grace the screen in recent years, and truly a lively, honest and brave actress that brings out the kid in the now elderly actor-director Allen.

This is the best comic energy to grace an Allen film in years. I think of my favorites: Annie Hall (1977), Manhattan (1979), Hannah and Her Sisters (1986), and the soft spots I have for Bananas (1971), Celebrity (1998), and even Small Time Crooks (2000), and Scoop is up there with them. Maybe in my top 5 or ten of Allen films. That's to be decided later (i.e. after the Woody Allen movie marathon!)

I am posting this entry over a month after I saw the film in theaters, so I will end this quick to avoid error in narrative and shot description. In short, however, know that I adored watching Allen play the father/grandfather role to Johannson, whose performace was steady and strong enough to act as the foil for Allen's neurotic blend of humor and make it seem new. These two are fantastic together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin